It is important to keep in mind when renting a forklift that the rental fee is only a fraction of the total cost of operating the machine. It has been calculated that the rental rate of a forklift is usually about 10% of the cost of running it. Therefore, it is important to understand the efficiency of the different types of forklifts for the work needed. Renting the correct type of forklift will improve productivity and reduce the cost per hour of using a forklift.
So how do you know what type of forklift to look for when you want the most efficient rental?
1. Availability: If the truck is immediately available for use and does not need servicing before rental, this may mean that it is reliable and of good quality. Older trucks or cheaply made ones usually require more maintenance, and are thus in and out of repair shops or out of service while waiting for replacement parts to arrive.
2. Reputation: The reputation of your rental service company is something to research when looking for a rental forklift, as viable businesses usually provide much better usability, availability and repair services.
3. Work efficiency: Look for quality and strength of the engine. Depending on the type of work you are doing, you should look into the type of forklift (diesel, gas or electric) and the load capacity your operation requires.
4. Maneuverability: Depending on the space where the forklift will be operating, you may need it to contain certain features. If you are working in a small space or narrow aisle, you will need a swinging fork, whereas if you need to lift equipment or workers to high elevations, you will probably need a boom man or scissor lift.
5. Travel speed: Travel speeds will depend on the size of the engine, and thus the size of the machine. Know your operating environment and transportation distances so that your rental service can provide you with an adequate machine for the task at hand.
6. Ergonomics & comfort: One of the most important factors to keep in mind is the comfort of the driver. The longer a driver can operate the forklift comfortably, the more value you will get for your money. Invest in a machine that you know will be ergonomically suitable, to ensure productivity.